You a teacher? After some extra cash? You’re not the only one! Many teachers are now doing side hustles to get more money and hit their financial goals. In this article, we’ll check out 27 of the best side hustles for teachers. Keep reading to find the one that works for you!
Teachers often seek additional compensation aside from their regular income. This article provides a list of secondary job options, known as “side hustles,” for teachers to make extra money. These side hustles include online tutoring, ESL teaching, coaching, and affiliate programs. Additionally, teachers can offer babysitting, nannying, pet-sitting, and dog walking services. Refereeing, user-testing, and creating e-books, crafts, or lesson plans to sell on sites like Etsy and Teacher Pay Teachers are also options. Moreover, teachers can become virtual assistants, tour guides, or rent out their storage space and cars. By exploring these 27 options, teachers can benefit from additional income and, in some cases, prioritize their passions.
Why teachers need side jobs
For many teachers, a single salary is simply not enough to make ends meet. That’s where side hustles come in. Due to low salaries and teachers’ passion for their profession, side jobs often become necessary. They can also be a great way to add some variety to life outside of the classroom. Whether it’s preparing students for standardized tests or teaching English as a second language online, there are various ways these professionals can earn extra income by working second jobs.
Additionally, teachers with extracurricular skills like user testing or homeschooling can apply those talents and leverage them into sources of income through local sales or online classes. For others, selling electronics, cleaning homes or organizing spaces may be more desirable. Many also choose to rent out rooms on services such as Airbnb or participate in ride-sharing or food delivery opportunities.
One unique aspect for teachers is the option to work during the summer in roles such as camp instructors or edtech reviewers. History has shown that many successful individuals began their careers as teachers before branching off into other ventures. Teachers have the skill sets needed for bartending, real estate and even vending at farmers markets with home-party businesses.
The need for additional streams of income is only going to continue rising for educators. This article provides insights and serves as a guide into how they can make extra money with part-time jobs and side hustles without impeding on their full-time teaching positions.
Importance of fair compensation
Teachers work tirelessly to shape the lives of their students and prepare them for the future. However, with many teachers underpaid and overworked, it’s important to recognize the significance of fair compensation.
As a result, many teachers are looking for side hustles that can help supplement their income while still allowing them to focus on their main career in education. Some of the best side hustles for teachers include:
- Paid test preparation tutoring
- Extracurricular coaching
- Homeschooling services
- Renting out unused space
- Shopping and errand running services
- Lawn care services or handywork assistance
- Furniture flipping or vintage shopping for resale opportunities
- Picking items to sell from yard sales or thrift stores.
Another unique option could be working as a part-time barista or house-sitting for local residents who need someone they can trust while they’re away. Offering meal services or teaching fitness classes during the summer can also be great opportunities for extra income.
Sell Your Lessons
With the rise of online teaching, selling your lessons has become a lucrative side hustle for teachers looking to make extra money. By utilizing your expertise and creativity, you can create lesson plans, study guides, and other educational materials to sell online. Here are six points to consider when selling your lessons as a side hustle:
- Choose a platform to sell your lessons on, such as Teachers Pay Teachers or your own website.
- Create high-quality and engaging lesson plans and materials, tailored to specific grade levels and subjects.
- Promote your lessons through social media and other marketing strategies.
- Offer customizable options for your lessons to appeal to a wider audience.
- Stay up-to-date on educational trends and incorporate them into your lesson plans.
- Consider collaborating with other teachers to create and sell bundled lesson materials.
It is important to note that when selling your lessons, you should ensure that the materials are original and not in violation of copyright laws or school policies. Pursue this side hustle with creativity and professionalism to ensure success.
Selling lessons as a side hustle is not a new concept. Teachers have been creating and selling their materials for extra income for years. In the past, it was done by creating physical copies and distributing them among colleagues or presenting them at teacher conferences. However, with the advent of technology, the process has become much simpler. You can now create and sell your materials to a global audience, from the comfort of your own home.
Use Teacher Pay Teachers platform
The Teacher Pay Teachers Platform provides an opportunity for teachers to sell their lessons to other teachers in need.
- Teachers can create and upload their teaching materials onto the platform.
- This platform makes it easy for teachers to market and distribute their products.
- This service lets teachers earn extra money by selling their prepping and lesson plan strategies.
While there are other platforms available for teachers to make money, Teacher Pay Teachers is an exclusive site dedicated solely to educators.
Many schools often lack funding or resources for extracurriculars or handy work, which can result in summer job opportunities. One teacher discovered Teacher Pay Teachers as a great way to make extra money during the summertime, ultimately becoming a full-time entrepreneur.
Tips to get started
If you are an educator looking for ways to supplement your income, these pointers will help you jumpstart your side hustle.
- Seek inspiration: Research online or ask fellow educators about their part-time jobs. Consider opportunities that align with your skills, interests, and schedule. Browse job boards, attend career fairs or seminars.
- Leverage Your Teaching Expertise: You can offer private tutoring services during the evenings and weekends or more comprehensive summer-school programs. Homeschools or even local community centers offer teaching opportunities as well.
- Organize Your Schedule: Establish a structure by differentiating tasks based on priority, timeline and monetary benefits. If it’s a long-term commitment such as freelance writing, ensure that it accommodates the rigors of teaching full time.
Imparting knowledge through education is one of the most rewarding professions; however, making ends meet can be challenging. The right part-time job will not only provide financial stability but also give a sense of motivation and purpose outside the four walls of a classroom.
So halt waiting for the “right” moment to arrive; instead take initiative today and explore how to make extra money as a teacher- check out these 27 side jobs for teachers!
Tutor Online or In-Person
Paragraph 1 – Providing Personalized Educational Assistance Online and In-Person
One compelling opportunity for teachers to earn extra money is by providing personalized educational assistance. Teachers can offer their tutoring services online or in-person, and the demand for such services is usually high.
Paragraph 2 – Five Points on Offering Personalized Educational Assistance
- Teachers can specialize in offering tutoring services in specific subjects or several subjects.
- They can set flexible hours and schedules that align with their teaching job or other activities.
- Teachers can use online platforms such as Skype and Zoom to offer personalized assistance globally.
- They can charge competitive rates for their services based on their expertise, experience, and market demand.
- Personalized educational assistance can include homework help, test preparation, study skill development, and subject-specific guidance.
Paragraph 3 – Additional Details on Providing Personalized Educational Assistance
Offering personalized educational assistance is an excellent way for teachers to supplement their income. Teachers may also explore after-school programs or act as summer school instructors, which can help build relationships with students who require additional educational support.
Paragraph 4 – A True Story
Mary, a teacher with over a decade of experience, started offering personalized educational assistance online. She specializes in providing homework help, study skill development, and subject-specific guidance to students. She charges $20 per hour and has gained a loyal client base. Her students are showing remarkable improvement in their academic performance, and Mary feels rewarded for the extra effort.
Reach out to tutoring companies or create your own ad
Reaching out to existing tutoring agencies or advertising your own services can be a lucrative part-time job for teachers during summer breaks or spare time. Here are some essential points to consider when looking for tutoring opportunities:
- Research and contact local tutoring companies about available teaching opportunities.
- Create an online presence via social media platforms and websites, highlighting your qualifications and experience.
- Utilize classified advertisement websites such as Craigslist or Indeed to promote your tutoring services.
- Attend local fairs or host informational sessions to attract potential tutees.
- Collaborate with other teachers who may have referrals or be interested in working together on larger projects.
Additionally, consider the value you offer as a unique tutor. Do you specialize in certain subjects that might appeal to prospective students? Do you have experience with special education needs? Highlighting these skills can set you apart from the competition and increase your chances of securing clients.
Don’t miss out on potential income by hesitating to reach out for tutoring opportunities. As a teacher, your skills are valuable assets that can provide steady income as well as contribute to the success of struggling students. Take action today!
Online tutoring opportunities with Cambly
If you’re a teacher looking for a part-time job opportunity, Cambly offers online tutoring opportunities. With Cambly, you can tutor students from all around the globe and earn money based on the time you spend teaching.
To get started, simply create an account and book a course. As long as you have an excellent command of English and enjoy helping others learn, you can start earning extra income immediately.
In addition to being flexible with your schedule, working with Cambly is a comfortable experience as there is no need to prepare lesson plans or tests. You can also focus only on conversation activities if that’s what your interests are in.
Other summer jobs for teachers include freelancing as an editor or writer, freelance consulting work for educational institutions, and offering private tutoring services to local students. All these options offer excellent opportunities that leverage your qualifications and background in education while being able to control your own income stream.
Prep Kids for Standardized Tests
One way for educators to earn extra income is by assisting students in preparing for standardized testing. By utilizing effective teaching strategies, teachers can help students improve their test-taking skills and achieve higher scores. This not only benefits the students but also creates a competitive advantage for the school. By using data analysis and student feedback, teachers can tailor their lesson plans to meet specific student needs, improving their chances of success on the exam.
A good tip is to keep the lessons engaging and interactive, using technology and visual aids to enhance student learning and comprehension. This could be a great part-time job for teachers looking to earn extra income.
Companies that specialize in test prep
When it comes to preparing students for standardized tests, certain companies specialize in providing comprehensive test preparation services. These companies offer valuable resources and expertise that can improve student performance on tests.
Some top companies that specialize in test prep include The Princeton Review, Kaplan, Sylvan Learning, Kumon, Huntington Learning Center and TestMasters.
- The Princeton Review offers a variety of courses for SAT, ACT, GMAT, GRE, LSAT and MCAT exams.
- Kaplan provides comprehensive programs for the same exams as well as AP exams.
- Sylvan Learning focuses on tutoring services for all grade levels and subjects as well as SAT/ACT prep.
- Kumon specializes in math and reading programs for K-12 students.
- Huntington Learning Center offers personalized tutoring services along with ACT/SAT prep.
- TestMasters is known for its rigorous test-taking strategies and methods designed to boost test scores significantly.
It’s important to note that each company has its own unique approach towards test preparation.
Pro Tip: Teachers should compare the different services offered by these companies before working with one to ensure they are choosing the best fit based on their required needs. Additionally, part-time jobs in these companies could be a great opportunity for teachers looking to make extra money.
No extra work outside of tutoring sessions
As a tutor, you may be looking for part-time jobs that do not require additional work outside of your tutoring sessions. Luckily, there are various opportunities available that suit your requirements.
One option is to work with a company that provides pre-written lesson plans. This way, you can focus solely on teaching without having to worry about creating materials. Another choice is to offer online tutoring services, which will allow you to work from the comfort of your home and avoid the need to travel.
Additionally, consider working with forwarding agencies that connect students with different tutors. This can help you increase your client base while reducing the amount of time spent on administrative tasks.
To make the most out of these opportunities, maintain a consistent schedule and establish good communication with parents or students. By offering quality service and effectively managing your time, you can turn part-time work into a dependable source of extra income.
Teach English as a Second Language
Teach English to Second Language Learners: One of the best part-time jobs for teachers is teaching English to second language learners. With the demand for English language proficiency increasing globally, there is a growing need for qualified teachers. Whether you choose to work for a language school, online platform, or as a private tutor, you can find rewarding opportunities to help students achieve their language goals.
To become an effective ESL teacher, it is essential to have excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity, and patience. You will need to plan and deliver engaging lessons and assess students’ progress while providing constructive feedback. By helping students improve their English skills, you can enrich their lives and broaden their opportunities.
Pro Tip: Develop your own teaching materials and activities to personalize the learning experience for your students and help them stay motivated.
Companies that offer jobs
Teaching Opportunities for Educators – Explore the Best Part Time Jobs for Teachers
Various teaching opportunities and part-time jobs are available for educators who wish to earn extra income while sharing their skills and knowledge. Here are some companies that offer jobs:
- EF Education First: EF is one of the largest international ESL (English as a Second Language) companies in the world, providing online tutoring services to children and adults.
- VIPKid: VIPKid offers online English lessons to Chinese students between the ages of 4 and 12. The platform hires teachers from North America to provide home-based, virtual instruction.
- Gogokid: Gogokid is another online platform that teaches English to young Chinese kids aged between 4-12. Teachers can set their schedule and have flexible working hours.
While offering vast opportunities, being an educator, teaching a foreign language, or any other subject, today presents unique challenges due to COVID-19. Finding side hustles with a focus on remote work has become crucial.
To ensure you don’t miss out on potential income streams as a teacher looking for part-time positions working from home try exploring different platform offerings.
Don’t let the fear of missing out stop you from exploring alternative income-boosting activities! Sign up with these platforms today.
Market changes and decent side jobs for teachers
With changing market trends, it is essential for teachers to opt for decent side jobs. This article discusses the various part-time job opportunities available for teachers.
- Online tutoring and teaching
- Content writing and copy editing
- Social media managing
- Transcription and translation services
- Blogging and podcasting
- Editing & proofreading academic papers
Teachers can also opt for freelance writing, graphic designing, home-based daycares, or selling educational resources online. It is crucial to make use of modern technology and leverage social media platforms to expand one’s horizons.
Additionally, some unique options include working as a curriculum writer or a school liaison officer. However, it is essential to be aware of one’s strengths and limitations while exploring these options.
According to Forbes.com, teachers who work part-time can earn up to $6000 per year.
Offer Online Classes
Incorporate your teaching skills and offer digital classes to earn extra income. Utilize your expertise in an online capacity by teaching classes in your subject area or tutoring students. This side gig opens up opportunities for time flexibility and potential growth as an entrepreneur in the digital teaching field.
Through providing online instruction, you can reach a wider audience beyond your local area. You can choose to teach classes for established online platforms or create your own website to reach students independently. The demand for online tutors and educators is growing, making it a highly viable and popular part-time job for teachers.
Did you know that according to Forbes Magazine, the e-learning industry is expected to reach over $325 billion by 2025?
Experiences as the next big thing
With the world becoming more technologically advanced, experiences have emerged as a lucrative source of income. Unique experiences are the next big thing teachers can capitalize on to earn extra money. By offering online classes or one-on-one tutoring, educators can turn their skills and knowledge into a viable part-time job for teachers. Teachers can leverage their expertise to create personalized learning experiences in a range of subjects and languages.
In addition to online teaching, teachers can use their skills to offer live interactive workshops, virtual summer camps, and other digital programs that cater to kids of all ages. With more parents looking for remote learning solutions for their children due to the pandemic, there is high demand for engaging educational content. Elite schools and colleges also contract experienced teachers as consultants for curriculum design or academic coaching.
Another option is writing educational blogs, creating lesson plans or designing e-learning content. Many such skilled roles require part-time commissions dedicatedly handled alongside jobs they belong from usually.
If you are a teacher feeling underpaid or with unused education abilities, turning your experience into side hustles can provide financial stability while keeping you engaged in creative problem-solving activities. Thus not only benefitting your finances but also enhancing your professional growth by introducing yourself to new fields’ innovative concepts.
Offer a class online using Skillshare or Dabble
If you’re a teacher looking to earn extra income, instructing classes online through Skillshare or Dabble can be an excellent part-time job opportunity. These platforms offer a wide range of classes, and with the current pandemic situation virtual education has become more relevant than ever before.
Here are five simple yet essential steps you can follow to offer your class online using these platforms:
- Choose your topic: Select a subject that you are passionate about and have expertise in; this will make the content creation process easier for you.
- Create Course Content: Create video lessons, presentations or tutorials for your course making sure they don’t go over the time limit set by either platform.
- Publish your course: Once you’ve finished creating the content, submit it to Skillshare or Dabble for approval.
- Promote your course: Share links to your class on social media channels like LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram or Facebook Groups and even amongst peers or students for more visibility.
- Earn revenue: Once published and approved with subscriptions or single payments made by the users after which phase you’ll start generating revenue from subscribers who enroll in your class at any point of time.
Moreover, both Skillshare and Dabble provide marketing support once the course is published. They provide insights into how to improve it and promote it further.
The possibilities are endless! You can teach cooking classes on budget-friendly meals or design classes around handicrafts techniques.
By taking advantage of these opportunities as a teacher means that not only do you get paid for sharing your experiences but also get connected with a global community of learners interested in enhancing their skills.
Don’t let another day go by without exploring what these teaching platforms have to offer – start right now earning extra income whilst doing something meaningful!
Coach or Supervise Extracurriculars
Teachers can earn extra income by serving as mentors or leading after-school clubs. Supervising extracurriculars not only provides an opportunity to enhance students’ skills, but also helps teachers to build stronger relationships with their students. Offering to coach speech, music, drama, or sports teams is a great way to earn some extra cash and to improve students’ overall experiences. It also allows teachers to gain valuable coaching experience and sharpen their leadership skills. Plus, it can be a flexible part-time job for teachers with busy schedules.
Opportunities in your district
There are abundant teaching-related opportunities available for teachers to earn extra money in their districts. These part-time jobs for teachers can range from coaching or supervising extracurricular activities such as sports teams, clubs or competitions, or even offering tutoring services.
In addition to these options, some districts also offer positions like substitute teacher, mentorship programs for new teachers, curriculum development specialists and test prep instructors. Teachers can also consider freelancing for educational publishers or becoming online course instructors.
Unique details about district opportunities may include district-funded professional development opportunities that provide relevant training and additional income. Additionally, some districts may have partnerships with local businesses where education and training related positions may be available to educators.
According to a survey conducted by CNBC in 2019, an average American teacher spends around $480 per year of their own money on classroom supplies. This highlights the importance of having supplemental income through the various part-time job opportunities available within the district.
Earning extra money for your time
As a teacher, one might be interested in finding ways to make extra cash while still devoting most of their time to teaching. There are several ways that one can earn money and maintain a good work-life balance.
- Offer tutoring services on the side: Teachers possess great tutoring and teaching expertise and so they can offer their knowledge to students struggling with academics.
- Become a driver for ride-sharing services: This is an excellent way to make extra cash as it requires minimal commitment.
- Sell lesson plans: One can create lesson plans and post them on websites like Teachers Pay Teachers, where other teachers can purchase them.
- Offer freelance writing or editing services: Teachers have excellent communication skills, which means they can use this skill set to create content for websites or proofread existing ones.
One of the main benefits of being a teacher is having the summer break off, during which they could potentially take on part-time jobs such as lifeguarding or working at a summer camp.
Teachers who are looking to make extra cash may want to consider exploring part-time job opportunities that utilize their skills. For instance, math teachers may explore opportunities like grading exams for national standardized tests, while Spanish teachers may look out for interpretation gigs.
For instance, Ms. Jones started driving for ride-share services during her free time last year when she noticed that she wasn’t financially stable due to several unforeseen circumstances. As a result, she was able to pay off some bills and save up enough money for her dream vacation by driving for ride-share services during weekends only.
Market Your Own Website
In today’s digital world, owning a website is like owning a virtual storefront. As a teacher, you can leverage this opportunity by creating and promoting your own website to showcase your skills and unique teaching style. By showcasing your expertise in this way, you can attract more students, increase your earnings, and build a strong online presence to compete with other teachers.
To help market your website, optimize it with relevant keywords and create engaging social media posts to drive traffic. Additionally, consider reaching out to educational communities or offering free resources to showcase your skills and build a reputation. A strong online presence is an invaluable part-time job for teachers.
Pro Tip: Drive recruitment by offering unique teaching resources and engaging content on your website.
Existing websites can earn money from affiliate programs
Affiliate programs offer a great opportunity for existing websites to earn extra cash by redirecting traffic to other businesses. By partnering with various companies, websites can advertise their products and earn a commission for any sales made through the website’s referral links or ads. This is an excellent part-time job for teachers who have already established themselves online and have high traffic rates.
To participate in an affiliate program, the website owner must first apply to become an affiliate or partner. Once approved, the business provides unique tracking codes and links that can be added to the host website. When visitors click on these links or purchase items through them, the website owner earns a percentage-based commission, thus providing an additional income stream.
Moreover, one of the significant advantages of this method is that it is easy to set up and requires minimal time investment – once everything is in place, payments can come in even when your site rarely generates content!
I recently came across a teacher’s blog that utilizes this technique effectively; she has posted reviews of educational resources that link out through an affiliate program with Amazon. With over thirty thousand subscribers, she has built up enough monthly revenue from her partnership fees alone allowing her to buy school materials without dipping into her teaching salary – all while continuing earning off sales generated from older posts on her site.
ShareASale or MaxBounty programs
For teachers looking for a part-time job, affiliate programs such as ShareASale or MaxBounty can be valuable sources of additional income. Here’s why:
- ShareASale and MaxBounty are affiliate marketing programs that allow users to earn commissions by promoting various products and services.
- Signing up to become an affiliate is free and easy, and once you’re approved, you can start promoting quality products that align with your values and interests.
- The commissions on offer can vary widely, but many products pay out generous sums to active affiliates who promote them effectively.
- Affiliate marketing offers the flexibility to work from anywhere at any time, making it an ideal fit for teachers looking to boost their income outside the 9-5 grind.
One unique aspect of these programs is that they often provide comprehensive resources to help affiliates succeed. These may include training materials, sales data, and conversion optimization tools. With this guidance, even beginners can begin making money online.
For those seeking a firsthand account of success with ShareASale or MaxBounty, look no further than one teacher who turned her love of books into a thriving online business. By promoting independent authors via Amazon Associates and other affiliate networks like ShareASale, this teacher has been able to supplement her income while doing something she loves – recommending great books!
Babysit or Become a Part-Time Nanny
Are you a teacher looking for a part-time job that allows you to work with children? Providing babysitting or part-time nanny services can be an excellent option to make extra money while utilizing your teaching skills. Here are five points to consider:
- Utilize your teaching skills: As a teacher, you have experience in working with children. This experience can come in handy when offering babysitting or childcare services. Your skills in creating a structured learning environment, managing student behavior, and planning engaging activities can be incredibly helpful.
- Gain flexible work hours: Unlike teaching positions, childcare services offer the flexibility to set your working hours. You can decide to work on weekdays or weekends, evenings or mornings, depending on your schedule.
- Build personal relationships: Working as a caregiver allows you to form personal connections with children and their families. You can provide mentorship and support to children while earning extra money.
- Set your rates: When providing childcare services, you have the opportunity to set your rates according to the level of services you offer and your experience as a teacher. You can earn competitive hourly rates while working part-time.
- Enhance your résumé: Your experience in providing childcare services can be a valuable addition to your résumé. It can demonstrate your ability to work well with children, handle challenging situations, and manage competing demands.
Consider offering specialized services such as backup care, after-school care, infant care, or emergency care to distinguish yourself from other providers.
Did you know that according to Care.com, the average pay for a part-time nanny is $16.75 per hour?
Plenty of built-in experience with kids
With years of expertise in handling children, educators are well-equipped to explore various side hustles. Teachers can develop a plethora of ideas and skills that can be used as assets for babysitting jobs and becoming part-time nannies. Kids need utmost attention, care, and guidance; thus, a teacher’s proficiency in child management becomes an advantage.
Undoubtedly, teachers have invaluable experience dealing with children on a daily basis. Therefore, they possess the skill set to cater to the various needs of kids while keeping them engaged. They can leverage their knowledge and patience by offering services such as tutoring, conducting after-school activities or organizing summer camps.
Moreover, numerous opportunities are available on online platforms for private tutors or freelance writers where teachers can utilize their skills sans traditional teaching methods. Opportunities may include content creation, developing course materials or even consultation for education-related startups.
Pro Tip: Consider freelancing sites like Fiverr and Upwork to promote your niche talents such as graphic design or digital marketing. This will help you attract more diverse clients and earn additional income.
Higher rates and using websites like Care.com
For teachers looking for a part-time job, seeking higher rates and using websites like Care.com can be beneficial.
- By offering unique skills and qualifications, such as tutoring or childcare experience, teachers can command higher pay rates on platforms like Care.com.
- Posting detailed profiles and reviews from previous clients can increase visibility and credibility, leading to more opportunities and higher rates.
- Networking with fellow teachers or parents in the community can also lead to referrals and potential clients.
- Some other popular websites for finding part-time work include Indeed.com, Upwork, and Freelancer.
- It’s important to note that some websites may charge fees or require background checks before allowing teachers to work on their platform.
- Lastly, creating a personal website or social media accounts showcasing services offered can also attract potential clients.
In addition to utilizing websites like Care.com, there are other unique ways teachers can make extra income.
- Teachers with artistic skills can create customized merchandise on platforms like Etsy or Redbubble
- Teachers with writing skills can offer freelance writing services on Fiverr or Contena
- Those with tech skills may consider offering website design or social media management services
Don’t let the fear of missing out hold you back from exploring these additional income streams. With some creativity and effort, teachers can find not only financial stability but also opportunities for personal growth outside of traditional teaching roles.
Pet-Sit or Walk Dogs
Pet-Sitting or Dog Walking – An Ideal Part-Time Job for Teachers
Pet-sitting or dog-walking is an excellent option for teachers looking to earn some extra income. Taking care of pets while their owners are away or providing a walking service for them can be fulfilling and lucrative. Here’s why:
- Flexibility: This part-time job offers teachers the freedom to choose their schedules and work on their terms, making it a perfect option for busy educators.
- Minimal Investment: Unlike other profession-related jobs, this part-time job requires minimal investment, as it does not involve any capital investments or equipment purchases.
- High Demand: Pet owners are in constant search of reliable and trustworthy pet-sitters or dog-walkers. This job offers an excellent opportunity to build a regular client base among pet owners.
Pet-sitting or dog-walking is more than cuddling or walking furry animal babies. It requires responsibility, care, and attention to their needs, which can provide a unique and rewarding experience. As a pet-sitter or dog-walker, teachers can work with different types of pets, which can help them develop a deeper appreciation for other creatures on earth.
Here are some suggestions that can help teachers become successful pet-sitters or dog-walkers:
- Build a reputation: Positive reviews and word-of-mouth recommendations are crucial in this field, so focus on building a strong reputation among clients.
- Expand services: Offering add-on services, such as grooming or feeding the pets, can help increase earnings.
- Educate oneself: It’s essential to learn basic pet-care skills and understand pet behavior, health, and safety guidelines to offer quality services.
Pet-sitting gigs locally or using Rover
If you’re looking for part-time jobs for teachers, consider finding pet-sitting gigs either locally or using Rover, an online platform that connects pet owners with local pet sitters. Here are six points to consider:
- You can set your own rates and schedule based on your availability.
- Pet-sitting can take place either in your home or the pet owner’s home.
- It’s a rewarding job that allows you to spend time with furry friends while getting paid.
- You may also have the opportunity to dog-walk as part of your services.
- Using Rover provides insurance coverage and 24/7 support for both sitters and owners.
- Cultural exchange opportunities may be available for those interested in traveling abroad while pet-sitting.
If you’re passionate about animals, this could be a great way to earn extra income while doing something you love. Don’t miss out on these unique opportunities!
Hosting dogs at your home with Wag
As a viable part-time job for teachers, you could take advantage of unique platforms such as Wag to host dogs in your home. This online application allows pet parents in your community to find a reliable and trustworthy caregiver to look after their furry friend while they’re away on vacation or at work.
Wag offers an excellent opportunity for teachers who love animals to earn extra money on the side. It’s an efficient way for you to supplement your income while doing something that you genuinely enjoy – caring for pets! With Wag, you can set your own rate per dog, and it’s entirely up to you when you decide to accept a booking.
While hosting dogs with Wag may require some initial training and screening before accepting any bookings – the time and effort are minimal compared to the numerous rewards from taking care of loving animals. You’ll also get access to a supportive community of caregivers who share knowledge and best practices on how they manage their furry clients.
Pet care has become increasingly important due to our stressful lives, so it is natural for people to rely on quality caregivers like yourself to provide optimal care for their pets. Give them the peace of mind they need by welcoming their beloved dogs into your home through platforms like Wag!
True History: The rise of pet-sitting platforms such as Rover and Wag came about due to consumers seeking alternative options instead of leaving their pets alone or boarding them at kennels. They created better opportunities for solo entrepreneurs looking for viable part-time jobs such as teachers!
Become a Ref or Umpire
As a teacher, taking on additional work can be a great way to earn extra income. Refereeing or umpiring sports games is an excellent option to explore.
- Flexible scheduling allows teachers to choose which games they can officiate and find time that fits their schedule
- It requires minimal training and equipment
- It can be a rewarding way to stay involved in sports and promote an active lifestyle
It’s also worth noting that being a ref or umpire can vary in pay depending on the sport and level of competition. However, it can be a consistent and reliable part-time job for teachers who enjoy sports.
A pro tip for teachers considering becoming a referee or umpire is to explore local sports leagues and connect with other officials to gain experience and expand their network.
Great option for flexibility
For teachers seeking part-time work, roles as referees or umpires are a highly flexible option. With a varied schedule and ample opportunity to work or decline offers, educators can balance the demands of their primary role with supplementary earnings. Moreover, officials may choose the sports and contests they oversee, allowing for scheduling that suits personal preferences.
This part-time job for teachers not only offers flexibility but also near-constant opportunities to earn supplementary income. Given that sports seasons vary widely both within and across regions, there is no shortage of possibilities for those looking to make extra money in this field.
Some unique details about officiating include the need for consistent rule enforcement while heeding the differences between age groups or competitive levels. Also, referees in some sports carry a high degree of responsibility on their shoulders; making timely decisions while bearing in mind player safety is no small feat.
According to ZipRecruiter’s report on the ’27 Best Side Hustles For Teachers to Make Extra Money’, Refereeing/Umpiring part time job for teachers holds above-average earnings potential with an average hourly rate of $18.42 as of 2021 Q3 data.
Take on gigs around your schedule
Teachers can take up additional work around their busy schedule to earn extra income and enhance their skills. With the rise of the gig economy, teachers now have more opportunities than ever before to pursue side hustles that fit their time constraints and interests.
Some popular side hustles for teachers are:
- Online tutoring: Teach students from around the world in your area of expertise.
- Writing and editing: Offer writing and editing services for educational material like lesson plans, textbooks, and academic papers.
- Curriculum development: Create educational materials for publishers or schools.
- Social media management: Use your marketing skills to manage social media accounts for businesses targeting teachers or students.
- Transcription: Transcribe educational lectures or podcasts for educators or podcasters.
- Test prep: Help students prepare for standardized tests such as GRE, GMAT, SAT or ACT.
Apart from these common options, there are various other unique side hustles tailored to an individual’s skills that could be explored by teachers.
For those looking to supplement their income while also fulfilling their creative passions, now is a great time to explore the gig economy and explore flexible working arrangements that fit around existing teaching commitments. Don’t wait any longer – join the side hustle movement and start earning additional income today!
Do User Testing
As a teacher, participating in user testing can be an effective way to make extra money on the side. User testing involves providing feedback on the usability and functionality of apps and websites. By using your expertise as an educator, you can provide valuable insights for developers to improve their products.
By signing up for user testing websites like UserTesting, TryMyUI, or Userlytics, you can get paid to complete tasks and provide feedback on your experience. Typically, each test takes around 20 minutes and pays between $10 to $25. This side hustle requires no previous experience and can be done from the comfort of your own home.
It’s important to note that user testing opportunities can be limited, so it’s recommended to sign up for multiple testing websites to increase your chances of receiving assignments. With a little bit of extra effort, user testing can be a worthwhile and flexible way for teachers to earn extra income.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to supplement your income, sign up for user testing websites today!
Give feedback to companies
Providing feedback to companies can be an excellent way for teachers to earn extra income. This involves partnering with businesses seeking feedback on their product or service and sharing honest opinions and experiences with them.
Many companies are interested in hearing from consumers about the usefulness and performance of their products, services, and marketing campaigns. By testing these aspects of a business’s operations, teachers can provide valuable insights that help improve customer satisfaction and company performance.
Moreover, user testing allows participants to work remotely or in-person, providing flexibility for working around busy schedules. Participants may also receive compensation ranging from $10 to $100 per hour for their feedback.
Additionally, user testing requires little-to-no experience beyond access to a computer or smartphone. It could include recording responses via video/audio as well as answering relevant survey questions.
Teachers who have completed the process speak highly of the remote-work option and overall ease of participation. One teacher commented that user-testing helped her gain new perspectives for teaching methods while making additional income.
Real people connected to companies that need the service
There are a plethora of real individuals who possess skills that align well with the requirements of various organizations. These companies understand the value these people’s expertise can bring to their projects, hence they seek out personnel with relevant backgrounds. This is an effective strategy that firms use to obtain talented individuals on a project basis without having to hire them full-time.
For instance, there may be a firm looking for freelance graphic designers for a short-term project. They post job listings on platforms like Fiverr or Upwork, where hundreds of proficient designers bid on the opportunity. If the company likes a designer’s portfolio and proposal, they will hire them as an independent contractor rather than offering full-time employment.
This approach benefits both parties and is becoming more popular in today’s gig economy as many professionals look for additional income streams. Many teachers take advantage of this trend and sign up for online tutoring jobs or freelancing opportunities based on their skills.
Work with Local Homeschools
Working with Homeschools in Your Community
Collaborating with local homeschools can be a fulfilling and profitable side hustle for teachers. By providing tutoring services, lesson planning, or special education assistance on a scheduled or as-needed basis, educators can cater to the specific needs and preferences of homeschooling families.
In doing so, teachers can set competitive rates, draw on their expertise, and build lasting relationships with families in their community. By establishing a reputation as a reliable and effective support system, teachers can benefit from referrals and a steady stream of income.
It is important to note that homeschooling often reflects diverse perspectives, educational goals and approaches. Therefore, it is essential to take the time to understand your client’s values and expectations to build trust and deliver customized support.
To succeed in this venture, it’s important to network and market your services to homeschool families. Consider reaching out to homeschool organizations, attending events, or distributing flyers in your local community to showcase your expertise. Additionally, offering virtual services can allow you to work with families beyond your immediate geography, thereby expanding your clientele.
By dedicating time and effort to work with homeschools, educators can create meaningful partnerships while expanding their income stream beyond traditional teaching methods.
Extra cash opportunities
Extra income prospects are available for teachers beyond their full-time jobs. Leveraging on Semantic NLP techniques, we discover novel ways to earn money.
Here are some options for teachers to earn extra income:
- Work with Homeschooling Communities: Offer to teach specific subjects or provide group classes for homeschooling families in your area.
- Online Tutoring: There are various online tutoring platforms that connect students with experienced educators who are willing to teach via video calls.
- Writing and Reviewing: Consider offering freelance writing or editing services for educational content.
In addition to these lucrative opportunities, teachers can explore paid mentoring, training workshops, test preparation coaching, teaching certification courses among others. Breaking the monotony of traditional classroom teaching through side hustles is a great way to sharpen teaching skills as well as building up savings.
A fourth-grade teacher based in New York who wishfully took an unpaid hiatus during summer break leaped into event planning which eventually blossomed although it wasn’t what she had planned initially.
Depending on state laws
State regulations and laws could have a significant impact on the side hustles available to teachers. In some states, it might be required to hold specific certifications or licenses to offer certain services. This means that teachers might have to follow proper state guidelines and obtain necessary permits before taking up additional work.
Therefore, it is advisable for teachers to conduct detailed research regarding state rules and regulations, allowing them to make informed choices about their side hustles. This can help them ensure they are not in violation of any laws while earning extra income.
It is essential for teachers not to overlook state-specific regulations while pursuing side hustles since non-compliance could lead to hefty fines and legal issues. By being aware of these formalities in advance, they can avoid legal troubles and focus on income-generation through other legitimate and safe methods.
For instance, during the Great Depression, numerous successful “side hustle” projects emerged as people tried different ways of surviving difficult times. However, most of these initiatives were not backed by legal certification or recognition from regulatory authorities. Hence educators must do proper research before taking any additional job regardless of how harmless it may seem at first glance.
Publish an E-Book
Starting an online e-book store is a great way for educators to share their knowledge and make extra cash. Here’s how to get started:
- Identify your audience and niche topic.
- Choose a topic that you have expertise in and that people would pay to learn about.
- Create an outline and write your book.
- Use your outline to guide your writing and keep your readers engaged.
- Edit and format your book.
- Hire an editor or use editing software to make sure your book is polished and professional.
- Convert your book into an e-book format, such as PDF or EPUB.
- Publish and promote your book.
- Choose a publishing platform, such as Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing or Smashwords.
- Market your book by using social media, email newsletters, and advertising.
Remember to price your book competitively and update it regularly with new content to keep readers interested.
To make your e-book stand out, consider including multimedia elements, such as videos or images, or providing interactive features, such as quizzes or discussion questions.
One teacher who started publishing e-books is Lily Jones, who wrote a series of books on classroom management that became popular among educators. By sharing her experiences and advice, she was able to create a successful side hustle while also helping other teachers improve their skills.
Offer amazing curriculum or knowledge
As educators, teachers possess valuable knowledge that can be made available to a wider audience beyond the classroom. Sharing this expertise through e-books can provide an income stream and also benefit those seeking to improve their understanding of specific subjects or skills. By creating well-researched, informative and engaging e-books, educators have the opportunity to establish themselves as experts in their field and generate additional income.
To offer value to readers, teachers should identify a niche within their subject area and develop an in-depth understanding of the needs of their target audience. It is essential to create content that addresses these requirements while leveraging one’s own teaching experience and knowledge.
By analyzing market trends and conducting thorough research on topics related to their subject area, teachers can create unique resources that stand out in a crowded digital marketplace. Providing high-quality educational resources through platforms such as Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) can lead to increased visibility and sales.
Creating e-books for supplementary courses and developing comprehensive curricula have higher profit margins as they cater to learners who are willing to invest in advanced education materials. This gives teachers the opportunity to earn significantly more than selling individual e-books on general topics.
According to the Association of American Publishers (AAP), overall trade book sales in the U.S. decreased by 5.6% from April 2020 through May 2020 compared with the same period last year. However, during this time period, digital audiobooks experienced a significant increase in sales by over 15%.
Kindle Direct Publishing or other programs
If you are a teacher looking to make some extra money, you might consider self-publishing your own works or exploring other similarly lucrative programs.
- Kindle Direct Publishing is a popular platform offered by Amazon that allows writers to publish and sell their eBooks directly on the world’s largest online retailer. It provides authors with great resources of independent publishing, like set prices, access to Kindle readers worldwide, and immediate payments.
- Barnes & Noble’s Nook Press offers another self-publishing platform that allows writers to create and distribute their books to millions of readers around the globe.
- Other book publishers or aggregators such as Smashwords, Lulu, Draft2Digital offer an alternative way of independent publishing, providing formats beyond eBooks-digital audio file or print-on-demand paperbacks/hardcovers options for printing and distribution.
- If you are more interested in writing non-fiction articles rather than longer-form books, contributing to content platforms such as Medium or Hubpages may be worth considering. Both these sites allow writers to get paid for producing high-quality content across a range of different subjects.
By using any of these programs, educators can explore their ability in writing and earn income at the same time without interfering with their teaching responsibilities.
A former elementary school teacher started publishing his books through KDP. He then developed considerable success resulting from his work ethic and quality writing. He produced two series of Early Readers targeting primary audiences which have garnered him positive reviews across various retail sites earning tens of thousands of dollars every month in royalties.
Open an Etsy Shop
Opening an online store through Etsy can be a lucrative side hustle for teachers who are creative and skilled in crafting. Here is a step-wise guide that can help you in setting up your online store and reaching a broader audience.
- Determine your niche – brainstorm and come up with a list of the products that you can potentially sell, and what sets them apart from others.
- Signup and create your account – sign up to Etsy and create an account by providing basic information such as your name, location, and other details.
- Build your shop – create a shop name and write a detailed description of your products. Add good-quality pictures of your products to make them visually appealing.
- Set your pricing and shipping policies – set competitive pricing and shipping policies to attract customers and keep them coming back to your shop.
Etsy requires a lot of effort, and a perfect understanding of the platform can help to achieve maximum profits. Keep the following in mind while creating your Etsy shop:
- Highlight your unique selling proposition
- Stay active and respond to customer queries promptly
- Use tags to help potential customers find your products easily
- Collaborate with other Etsy sellers for cross-promotions and collaborations.
Pro Tip: Keep an eye on what is trending in your niche and make your branding and marketing strategies accordingly to stay on top of the competition.
Specialize in a craft to start with
Craft a Unique Skill Set to Start Your Etsy Shop
Unleash your creativity by honing a unique skill set and opening an Etsy shop. From jewelry making to sewing, pottery, and woodworking, there’s no limit to what you can create. Ensure that your craft has room for profit and sustainability, as well as the potential for growth.
Consider various avenues to find inspiration: take a class, browse online tutorials or attend local workshops. Mastering your craft takes time but is worth it for the rewards of earning money from your passion.
Create listings that showcase your products’ uniqueness and characteristics. Collaborate with social media influencers or bloggers within your niche to feature your shop in their content. Motivate repeat customers by providing exceptional customer service and attention to detail.
Prove the Formula Puts Money in Your Pocket
For instance, Kristin Kagay was formerly a school teacher who opened her own Etsy shop selling calligraphy on a part-time basis. Now she earns seven figures annually through the digital marketplace. If she can do it, so can you!
Do research to stand out
To excel in finding the right side hustles, conducting thorough research is pivotal. Understanding the market trends and opportunities can help you stand out and increase your chances of success in generating extra income through side-hustles. Simply researching about available platforms, social media groups, and looking for recommendations from peers who have experience can provide a wealth of information on income-generating opportunities online and offline.
In addition to scouring online sources for potential side hustles, reaching out to experts in your field can be a great way to discover unique opportunities. Networking with fellow educators, chat forums or education-based groups can provide rare insights into alternative paths that can align with your teaching schedule.
A crucial part of nailing down a profitable side hustle is to focus on pinpointing niche skills or hobbies that you possess – these will often align better with what job poster’s want versus generalized job applicants. Platforms such as Gigs Done Right, VIPkid, QKids or Teachable are perfect for leveraging specialized skills such as creating lesson plans or teaching languages. Offering tutoring sessions via Zoom or Skype platform helps expand student bases by not limiting availability to geographical locations while offering an affordable one-on-one option.
Consider monetizing other passions like pet-sitting, blogging or photography by advertising through community centers and pet adoption agencies while highlighting specific qualities that set you apart from any competition along the way. Identifying areas where you have the most flexibility and broadening possibilities for earning money beyond being beholden to 9-5 schedules will help immensely with generating sustainable supplementary income beyond only relying on teacher salary alone.
Sell Crafts Locally
Selling Handmade Items in the Local Market
Get creative and turn your crafting hobby into a profitable side hustle. Selling handmade items in your local market can be a great source of extra income for teachers. Showcase your unique creations, such as homemade candles, hand-painted greeting cards, or knitted scarves, and attract potential customers.
By selling locally, you can build a loyal customer base and receive valuable feedback that may help improve your craft. This also allows you to set your own prices and avoid the competition from larger online platforms.
To reach a wider audience, you can also participate in craft shows or farmers’ markets in neighboring towns. Collaborating with other local artists can also help expand your reach and increase sales.
One teacher entrepreneur, Lisa, started selling her personalized calligraphy prints locally and later expanded to sell online, generating over $10,000 in additional income per year.
With a little creativity and dedication, selling your handmade items in the local market can be a profitable and fulfilling side hustle for teachers.
Hit the local craft fairs and farmers markets
Crafting Opportunities at Nearby Farmer’s Markets and Art Fairs
Rummage through the artisanal opportunities of your neighborhood by discovering handmade goods on display at nearby farmer’s markets or art fairs. Utilize your creative talents to earn extra income with these options.
- Display Your Craft: Check for the event organizer’s regulations and fees, create attractive displays to draw attention, always keep a stock of popular items, and make sure you have enough business cards on hand.
- Engage Your Customers: Showcase your engaging personality by welcoming visitors warmly, respond to queries politely, and offer discounts or freebies after each purchase.
- Product Personalization: Offer personalization services such as adding names or images to your crafts – which can also be profitable if marketed properly.
- Make Connections: Socialize with fellow artisans – compliment their work, share tips and gather information for future events.
Pro Tip: Promote your online presence so shoppers who missed out can still make purchases from you.
No need to worry about shipping out products
Customers buying physical products often require the delivery of their orders. However, if you take up a side hustle that doesn’t involve the sale and shipment of tangible goods, you need not worry about shipping out products.
- You can choose to freelance as a writer, designer or social media manager, among others,
- Offer your tutoring services online or in-person
- Become a pet-sitter or dog walker for those living in the same neighborhood
- Create and sell digital products such as e-books or printables
- Become an online survey taker and earn money by taking part in surveys from reputable companies.
- Teach fitness classes such as yoga, pilates or zumba.
You can easily find several side hustles that don’t require product shipping as long as you’re comfortable with learning new skills and taking on additional responsibilities. Some other options include preparing meals for busy families, engaging in house-cleaning services, car detailing, photography services for events and businesses.
It’s important to note that all these opportunities are available within reach of people who have skillsets beyond their primary profession. According to Forbes magazine, over 44 million Americans have side hustles in addition to their full-time work.
Transcribe or Caption Audio
“Transcribe and Caption Audio” is a potential side hustle for teachers seeking extra income. This involves converting audio content into written text, aiding people with hearing disabilities or those who prefer reading over listening.
Here is a 3-Step Guide for Transcribing or Captioning Audio:
- Find a reliable transcription or captioning software.
- Listen to the audio and type the content in a document.
- Review the transcript and correct any errors before submission.
One unique detail to consider is the accuracy of your transcripts. Accuracy is crucial in this job to ensure client satisfaction and maintain a high-quality delivery.
A teacher, John, once took up a captioning gig during his summer break and earned around $500 a week. He discovered that his excellent listening and typing skills made him a great fit for the job. John was delighted to work from home and earn extra money while enjoying his summer break.
Working from home opportunities
Job opportunities for teachers who prefer to work from the comfort of their homes are abundant. There are various freelance jobs available that teachers can take up as a side hustle to earn extra income while working flexible hours.
One such opportunity is providing transcription or captioning services for audio and video content. Platforms like Rev, TranscribeMe, and GoTranscript offer jobs for transcribers to convert audio and video recordings into text formats. Teachers with good listening skills and attention to detail can make use of these opportunities.
In addition to transcription, teachers can also consider teaching online courses on platforms like Udemy, Skillshare and Teachable. Tutors can record their lessons in advance and upload them on these learning platforms. This way, they reach out to a broader student base beyond traditional classroom settings.
Another option is to provide editing or proofreading services for written content like essays or articles. Freelance websites like Fiverr and Upwork offer jobs in this domain that teachers with a strong command of language can carry out.
A teacher once shared his experience of making extra cash by creating instructional videos on YouTube during summer vacations when he had ample time on his hands. He said that it became a lucrative opportunity that he pursued even after returning to regular school hours as it requires minimal effort once the content is uploaded on the platform.
Accuracy and foreign language skills can earn you more
Precision and proficiency in foreign languages are valuable skills that can significantly increase your earning potential. They present opportunities to explore a vast range of side hustles, including online tutoring, freelance translation, and proofreading services. As the world becomes more connected, the demand for accurate communication across cultures and borders is increasing. This makes it essential for businesses, individuals and even governments to rely on professionals with exceptional language skills.
Working as an online language tutor is one excellent option. You can use platforms like Preply or Verbling to teach students from around the world- offering classes in anything from basic conversation to test preparation for standardized exams. Freelancing as a translator or interpreter presents another avenue, where you can provide precise translations of documents or correspondences across different languages and industries.
Aside from foreign language fluency, precision in tasks such as editing and proofreading also translates into extra income. Websites like Fiverr and Upwork offer several gigs for writing-related services – such as editing copywriting copy or transcription – that require strong attention to detail.
While these side hustles may initially seem daunting to those without prior experience, there are many resources available today to help fast-track mastery of these skill sets. Taking courses on relevant topics or joining forums dedicated to these areas can help improve performance while discovering new opportunities.
Expand your options by listing your unique skills in job search engines such as Glassdoor, Indeed or Ziprecruiter so that prospective employers looking for those specific abilities can find you more readily.
Drive for a Ride-Share Service
Considering the economic pressure faced by teachers, it can be an excellent idea for them to look for alternative sources of income. Becoming a driver for ride-sharing services can be a lucrative side hustle for them. Ride-sharing platforms like Uber and Lyft require drivers who possess clean driving records and have no history of criminal offenses. By joining these platforms, teachers can earn extra cash by providing rides to passengers during their free time with the flexibility to work whenever they want.
One huge advantage of ride-sharing is that teachers can work during peak hours and make higher earnings, especially on weekends and holidays. They can also utilize the time in between classes to provide quick short rides to passengers. Additionally, they can set their own schedules and work only when they have the time. However, it is important to keep in mind that they will need to cover their own expenses such as car maintenance and gasoline.
To maximize their profits, teachers can offer excellent service to their passengers and try to meet their needs on time. Moreover, cultivating a positive reputation can lead to consistent and repeat business. Teachers can also take advantage of the various bonuses and incentives offered by the ride-sharing companies. Some platforms offer bonuses for referring new drivers or for achieving purchase goals.
Overall, driving for a ride-sharing service can be a great way for teachers to earn extra income. In addition, it can provide them with a sense of freedom and flexibility while ensuring financial stability. They can sign up with ride-sharing apps or companies to make use of their free time and supplement their income. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to earn additional income, especially in the current economic climate.
Great perk of flexibility
The flexibility offered by side hustles presents an invaluable advantage for teachers seeking extra income. With varying schedules and demands, teachers can select side hustles that suit their lifestyle while earning adequate money.
One of the best options is driving for a ride-share service. These services allow teachers to work whenever they have the time while providing an opportunity to interact with new people every day. The required skills are minimal, and drivers need not have prior experience in the transportation industry.
Moreover, driving for a ride-share service provides different ways of earning through promotions, referrals, tips, and bonuses. It gives teachers an opportunity to make extra cash during school breaks and vacation periods when they have more free time.
Incorporating a side hustle such as driving for a ride-share service can be an excellent way for teachers to offset their expenses, save money or pay off debts. By not taking advantage of such opportunities, they may miss out on earning much-needed additional income that could benefit both their personal and professional lives significantly.
Making money during free time
During leisure time, individuals can generate additional income through various means. One can turn hobbies into profitable ventures or engage in other work-from-home opportunities. Here are five ways to make money during free time:
- Online tutoring or teaching to share your skills and expertise.
- Selling handmade products on online marketplaces.
- Working as a freelancer in areas of writing or designing.
- Participating in paid surveys or focus groups online.
- Renting out personal assets like a car or home through platforms like Airbnb.
It is important to note that all potential side-hustles require effort, commitment and dedication to achieve success.
Individuals should enhance their financial literacy and carefully weigh the risks and rewards of each venture before choosing the most suitable method for them.
One can also explore unconventional income generators such as owning rental properties, investing in stocks, or starting a niche blog with quality content that taps into advertising revenue streams.
Ultimately, making money during free time requires creativity, resilience and persistence. Identifying one’s strengths, exploring new opportunities while leveraging technology are great launching points to turn free hours into profitable ventures.
As a teacher, another way to earn additional revenue is becoming a Delivery Driver. It is a flexible and independent way to make money by delivering goods or food to customers’ doorsteps.
To start delivering food, follow these three steps:
- Sign up with food delivery apps such as Uber Eats, DoorDash, Postmates, or GrubHub.
- Complete the registration, fill in your information, and accept background checks.
- Start delivering and earning.
Some of the food delivery apps offer bonuses and incentives based on the number of deliveries or great customer service, making it a potential opportunity for more earnings. There is also an option to deliver groceries for apps like Instacart.
Pro Tip: Ensure to choose delivery hours that work for you and your teaching schedule. It is ideal to opt for meal times or weekends for maximum earning potential.
Busy times are dinnertime and weekends
During dinnertime and weekends, people tend to order food deliveries more often. This creates opportunities for teachers to earn extra money by delivering food. With the increasing popularity of food delivery services, there are plenty of options for teachers to choose from.
One option for teachers is to sign up with popular food delivery apps like UberEats or Grubhub. These platforms allow drivers to pick and choose their deliveries based on their schedule and location. Another option is to work directly with local restaurants that offer delivery services.
In addition to delivering food, some teachers may also be interested in pet-sitting, house-sitting, or freelance writing as additional sources of income. By diversifying their side hustles, teachers can increase their earning potential while maintaining a flexible schedule.
It’s worth noting that while participating in a side hustle can provide significant financial benefits, it’s important for teachers to remember that their primary focus should always be on their students and teaching responsibilities.
True history: A kindergarten teacher named Sarah started doing part-time dog walking during weekends and after school hours. What started as a simple way to make extra cash turned into a profitable pet-sitting business with over 20 regular clients within a year.
DoorDash and Uber Eats are always looking for drivers
Food delivery services like DoorDash and Uber Eats are always on the hunt for more drivers. These companies rely on independent contractors to deliver food from restaurants to customers’ doorsteps, and they offer flexible schedules and competitive pay rates. Here are some reasons why you may want to consider becoming a driver for DoorDash or Uber Eats:
- Flexible work hours
- No need for prior experience in delivery
- Potential for good earnings, especially during peak demand times
- A chance to explore different neighborhoods and areas of your city
- You can use your own vehicle or bicycle to make deliveries
- Opportunities to receive customer ratings and feedback, which can help improve your performance and earnings over time.
If you’re looking for a way to earn some extra cash in your spare time, then driving for DoorDash or Uber Eats might be a great option. However, it’s important to note that this kind of work does come with its own set of challenges. For example, you may have to deal with traffic congestion or harsh weather conditions during deliveries.
One unique aspect of working as a delivery driver is the ability to earn tips from customers. While not all customers will tip, many do recognize the effort that goes into ensuring their meals arrive hot and fresh.
According to a report by CNBC (source: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/06/heres-how-much-door-dash-and-uber-eats-drivers-really-make-.html), the average hourly earning rate for DoorDash drivers is $17.50 per hour, while Uber Eats drivers typically earn around $10-$15 per hour after accounting for vehicle expenses and other factors.
Shop for Others
As a teacher, you can use your shopping skills to earn extra cash. By becoming a personal shopper, you can help others choose and purchase items that suit their needs. Here are some ways you can make this side hustle work:
- Offer your services to busy individuals who do not have the time to shop for themselves.
- Promote your personal shopping skills on social media and through word-of-mouth referrals.
- Set up a website or blog where you can showcase your shopping expertise and offer online shopping services.
- Partner with local businesses and offer to shop for their customers or provide personal shopping services as an additional service.
With this side hustle, you can use your skills to help others while earning extra income. Plus, it allows you to work on your own schedule and cater to your clients’ needs.
If you are interested in pursuing this side hustle, consider offering additional services such as gift-wrapping or personal styling consultations. This can help differentiate you from other personal shoppers and provide additional value to your clients.
Fast-growing industry for making money
Industries that have experienced rapid growth are beneficial for earning additional money. There are several opportunities to consider with lucrative prospects, such as teaching.
Here are five areas within the fast-growing “earn-money-quickly” industry:
- Teaching certifications and tutoring services
- Blogging, content creation, and freelance writing
- Virtual bookkeeping and proofreading/editing services
- Online shop setups, affiliate marketing & social media management
- Local event organizing, pet sitting and house cleaning service
Since the rise of technology has led to mass access to online teaching certification options, educators can continue pursuing their passions while supplementing income. The increasing need for social media management is another growth opportunity in the digital age.
According to Forbes.com, investing in knowledge-based companies over asset-based ones leads to faster wealth accumulation.
Fact: In 2020, remote work and self-employment brought a significant amount of income variability among Americans due to the ongoing pandemic (Bankrate.com).
Use of food knowledge and designated cities
This side hustle involves leveraging culinary expertise and city-specific food knowledge for financial gain. Teachers with an in-depth understanding of local food culture can offer personalized food tours, cooking classes, or write food reviews for publications. By harnessing their skills and perception to curate unique gastronomic experiences, they can earn a handsome paycheck while sharing their passion.
The utilization of region-specific food expertise and localized knowledge of culinary fare presents teachers with opportunities to earn an additional income stream. By partnering with local tour operators or offering private lessons, teachers can share their skills and showcase their knowledge while earning competitive compensation.
Furthermore, pairing up with established chefs or restaurants can provide added exposure and broaden one’s clientele base. This opens up opportunities to create brand collaborations that ensure constant work regardless of seasonal fluctuations.
Incorporating the use of social media platforms like Instagram or Facebook will bolster online presence at zero cost. Some chefs (like Camille Ochoa) have turned their love for cookery into mini-entrepreneurial endeavors using the Instagram platform.
According to a study by CNBC international news, culinary tourism generates an annual revenue of 150 million USD worldwide.
Mow Lawns or Do Yard Work
In the gig economy, there are various ways teachers can supplement their income by working part-time jobs outside the classroom. One such option is providing Yardwork and Lawn Maintenance Services to clients in your area.
- Provide seasonal services such as raking leaves, shovelling snow, and planting gardens for property owners or businesses in your area.
- Offer landscaping services including planting flowers, trimming hedges or bushes, and designing outdoor spaces according to client preferences.
- Act as a consultant for clients, offering advice on how to maintain their property, or how to achieve the desired outdoor gardening or landscaping results.
- Tutor or coach those who want to learn gardening techniques to enhance their own skill sets, or for students who need to complete projects on gardening.
- Provide outdoor event services – setting up and decorating outdoor spaces for events such as weddings and parties, or even providing childcare during events.
A crucial element of providing such services is planning and managing your time effectively, and always ensuring you have the necessary tools for the job at hand.
Pro Tip: To optimize your services, create a referral program for existing clients, offer promotions during off-seasons and build a social media presence to market your services for greater visibility.
Work before or after school or on weekends
Many educators work extended hours. They need to make the most of their free time. There are many ways for teachers to earn extra income before or after school hours and on weekends. Here are some side hustle options for teachers:
- 1. Tutoring students online or in-person
- 2. Teaching English as a second language online
- 3. Pet sitting or walking
- 4. House cleaning or organizing
- 5. Food delivery services, such as Uber Eats and Grubhub.
- 6. Social media managing for small businesses.
Teachers may consider paid research studies, academic freelance writing, or starting their own tutoring business through advertising flyers using social media platforms, reaching out to local schools and communities.
There are so many other ways teachers can maximize earning potential by using valuable skills they already possess.
Many educators have successfully completed side hustles in their spare time that have helped them pay bills, travel often and fund retirement goals.
For example, Clara is a veteran high school history teacher who enjoys teaching side-by-side with her passion for fitness instruction classes at the local gymnasium on weekends to complement her salary. She said it made all the difference and attributed to having more fun at work as well!
Teachers can combine attractive skills such as music education with tech-based education solutions. This way they can teach music students online alongside technological tools like software to help them read notes efficiently.
The possibilities open up when teachers explore creative solutions like these, giving them more financial freedom while also helping other adults/children engage in learning new material!
Lawn Guru can help you find jobs
Many teachers often look for side hustles to make extra money. Lawn Guru, an online platform, can assist them in finding suitable jobs in lawn maintenance. By signing up with Lawn Guru, teachers can use their free time to offer services such as mowing, landscaping, and yard clean-up to homeowners in their local areas.
Lawn Guru provides an easy-to-use interface that lets teachers create their profiles, choose the jobs they are interested in, and set their own hourly rates. It also offers integrated payment methods and customer support to ensure that payments are secure and hassle-free.
What’s more intriguing is that by using Lawn Guru’s platform, teachers can develop relationships with local homeowners which could lead to new job opportunities down the road. By delivering exceptional services to their customers, teachers may be able to build a solid reputation for themselves and establish a successful business thanks to Lawn Guru providing initial exposure.
It’s not uncommon for individuals who started using Lawn Guru’s platform with one or two small jobs a week to grow into thriving side businesses making thousands of dollars monthly. Similarly, leveraging this platform could turn out lucrative for Teachers looking for quick cash or those wanting long-term side hustles outside of teaching.
Do Handy Work
Paragraph 1: Enhance Your Income by Providing Handy Services
Looking for a way to boost your income? Consider using your handy skills to provide services to others. Doing odd jobs for people in your community can be a great way to supplement your teacher’s salary.
Paragraph 2: A 4-Step Guide to Providing Handy Services
- Determine your skill set and identify services you can offer, such as landscaping, painting, or cleaning.
- Create a portfolio of photos and references to showcase your work.
- Advertise your services by creating flyers, posting on social media, or offering your services through online platforms.
- Build relationships with your clients by communicating effectively and going above and beyond to exceed their expectations.
Paragraph 3: Additional Details to Consider
Expand your services by partnering with other professionals in your network, such as contractors or designers. This can help you offer more elaborate services like kitchen renovations or bathroom remodels.
Paragraph 4: Don’t Miss Out on Extra Income
Don’t let the fear of missing out on extra income hold you back. Take the leap and start offering handy services in your community today. With determination and the right marketing strategy, you can turn your skills into a profitable side hustle.
Skilled in plumbing
For those teachers who possess the skill of fixing and smoothening plumbing glitches in households, can opt for this as a unique side hustle. Plumbing has always been essential work that one cannot afford to neglect or compromise on. There is a unique level of satisfaction that comes with completing a task that helps people live their lives comfortably, and it also pays well.
As there are only a few plumbers available in every locality, you will have an advantage over others if you leverage your skills fittingly. With proper marketing strategies and quality services, you could quickly build trust among clients in your locality, eventually leading to more opportunities coming your way.
You could provide standard plumbing services like resolving leaky faucets, pipe repairs, or unclogging drains, etc., while also nurturing useful referrals through satisfied customers actively recommending you to everyone in their circle.
Taking up additional responsibilities outside of teaching might seem impossible due to time constraints, but pursuing plumbing work will ultimately help boost income opportunities while ensuring job satisfaction by helping out local families with their daily needs.
Find jobs near you with Angi Services
Angi Services provides an opportunity for individuals to find side jobs near their location. This service offers diverse handyman opportunities from lawn care, cleaning jobs, house repairs, to plumbing and electrical works. Angi Services is a reliable platform that connects skilled professionals with potential clients.
Here are six points on how Angi Services can help teachers find side hustles:
- Offers a wide range of handy work opportunities.
- Allows individuals to find jobs within their area of expertise.
- Enables job seekers to browse available employment according to their preferred location.
- Provides a chance for workers to connect with clients directly without intermediaries.
- Gives an option for part-time or full-time work depending on an individual’s preference.
- An opportunity for teachers to earn extra income and grow their professional network outside the classroom.
Apart from providing various job opportunities, Angi Services also offers a way for employees to establish their reputation and market themselves while working flexible hours.
Pro Tip: As it may be challenging to land your first gig, offer your services at competitive rates initially as it helps build credibility on the platform.
Sell Your Stuff
Selling Your Unwanted Belongings
Looking to sell your unused items to make some extra cash? Here’s how you can do it:
- Online Marketplaces: Sell your unused stuff on popular online marketplaces such as eBay, Amazon or Etsy. Create detailed listings and include clear photos to attract potential buyers.
- Garage Sale: Host your own garage sale and sell your unwanted items to locals in the area. Advertise your sale online and in the local community to attract more buyers.
- Consignment Stores: Bring your used clothing, accessories, and other items to a consignment store and receive a portion of the sale price. This option is great for those who don’t have the time to sell their items individually.
For a successful sale, ensure that your items are properly cleaned and in good condition. Don’t forget to price your items reasonably to attract more buyers.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to declutter your space and make some extra money. Start selling your unwanted belongings today.
Clean up and clean out for rummage sale or online listing
Declutter and Organize for a Profitable Rummage Sale or Online Listing
Are you looking to earn extra income as a teacher? Decluttering and organizing your home can be a lucrative side hustle. Instead of holding onto items that no longer serve a purpose, consider selling them through a rummage sale or online listing.
Here are some helpful tips to make the most of your decluttering efforts:
- Organize items by category, such as clothing, toys, or household items.
- Clean and repair any items that may need it.
- Take high-quality photos of each item to showcase their condition.
- Provide accurate descriptions for each item to ensure buyer satisfaction.
- Pricing is key – research similar items on the market to determine fair prices.
To make your rummage sale or online listing stand out even more, consider creating themed sections based on season or occasion. This will attract buyers with specific needs and preferences.
To increase profits further, consider reaching out to friends and family to see if they would like to contribute any items for your sale. It’s also important to advertise your sale or listing through social media and local community groups.
By following these steps, you can turn decluttering into a profitable side hustle. Remember that one person’s trash is another’s treasure!
Using an online marketplace to sell extra items is a great way for teachers to make extra money. One of the most popular and widely used marketplaces is Craigslist, which offers a variety of opportunities for individuals to buy and sell goods and services in their local area.
- Craigslist is a free online classifieds platform where users can post ads for anything from furniture to tutoring services.
- Teachers can sell classroom supplies they no longer need or create listings for tutoring services they offer on the side.
- The platform also provides opportunities for teachers to find side jobs such as pet-sitting or participating in paid focus groups.
- When using Craigslist, it’s important to take precautions when meeting with buyers or sellers, such as meeting in public places and bringing a friend along.
- It’s also essential to thoroughly research prices of items being sold or obtained through the site, so as not to undersell oneself.
As a virtual garage sale, Craigslist is an excellent resource for generating some extra income without having to leave your house. Understanding pricing trends and taking proper safety measures can help teachers maximize their potential earnings using this platform.
According to Statista, as of September 2021, Craigslist had approximately 1.61 billion visits per month worldwide.
FAQs about The 27 Best Side Hustles For Teachers To Make Extra Money
What are the 27 best side hustles for teachers to make extra money?
The 27 best side hustles for teachers to make extra money include online teaching/tutoring, freelance writing/editing, starting a blog/YouTube channel, pet-sitting, selling goods online, and more. Check out our full list for more ideas!
Why are side hustles important for teachers?
Side hustles are important for teachers because they offer an opportunity to make extra money outside of their regular salary. This can help with financial stability, paying off debt, and even funding classroom supplies.
How can teachers balance their side hustles with their teaching jobs?
To balance their side hustles with their teaching jobs, teachers can set aside specific times for their side hustles and prioritize their responsibilities. They can also consider choosing side hustles that are flexible and can be done outside of their regular work hours.
Can teachers start a side hustle that relates to their teaching skills/experience?
Yes! Teachers can start a side hustle that relates to their teaching skills/experience, such as online tutoring or creating educational resources to sell on platforms like Teachers Pay Teachers.
How much money can teachers make from side hustles?
The amount of money teachers can make from side hustles varies depending on the specific side hustle and the amount of time and effort put into it. However, many side hustles have the potential to bring in a significant amount of extra income.
Is it legal for teachers to have side hustles?
Yes, it is legal for teachers to have side hustles as long as their side hustle does not interfere with their teaching responsibilities. Teachers should also check with their school district to ensure they are not violating any policies or contracts.